Ron Jackson Store at Reverb Nation!


Quantcast

Sunday, May 13, 2012

New Endorsement - Eastman Guitars




Ron using his NEW Eastman 7-String Guitar!


I have been studying with 7 string jazz guitar master Bucky Pizzarell on and off since 2003.
I never realized that he was in his mid 70's when I started! His spirit is so young. I only wanted to learn his Freddie Green style comping technique. I swear it took me 2 years to get that together. I can explain more about his comping style in another post. Ever since I started studying with Bucky, he's insisted on me buying a 7-string guitar. I was thinking whenever he asked me, "is he crazy, that's too much, I already find it difficult playing 6 string."

For you guitarists, would you ever switch to a 7 String?

 Well, we had a concert together at Flushing town Hall in December 2011. After really hearing Bucky play that guitar again so well, I decided to finally buy one. I spoke to Bucky's right hand man on guitar Ed Laub who I met playing with Bucky at the same concert. Ed told me that Eastman makes the most affordable, well-made, great playing guitars. He said the guitars are made in China (what isn't made in China) but that they read the by book Bob Benedetto on arch top building and studied in the USA. Well they have in down. I ordered a used Eastman 810CE-7 online from Guitar Center in late December 2012. This 810CE-7 is a 2007 in great condition. The day it arrived, I took it right to a gig with saxophonist Sedric Choukroun and vocalist Lezlie Harrison. It was the perfect gig for 7-string guitar no bass. I was lost!!!! I had the 7th string tuned to a low B since I was use to playing my 5 string electric bass like that. I spoke to Ed Laub after and he said to tune it to a low A to double the 5th string. I didn't understand that at first. Bucky explained to me later during a lesson that George Van Eps used this tuning.

Well I love my Eastman guitar. It has great tone, playability balance, at a great price. I love the rich low bass notes of the A string. On a solo or duo it's ideal. Bucky says bass players hate it! I have played my 7-string with bassists. All I do is avoid playing the low A string. When the bassist takes a solo or when I want to use power of the A string for endings etc. I play the low A. The 2007 Eastman I own has no volume or tone control built in, so I need to use a volume pedal on gigs.  


Since getting my 1st Eastman I had gone the NAMM show in Anaheim in January.
I met with their people there. I met LA jazz master John Pisano and jammed with him at their booth. Now I am an Eastman 7 String artist. I own 2 different Eastman 810CE-7 7 String Guitars, a 2007 and 2012 with a built in volume and tone control on the neck. I am also having an Eastman AR403CE customized adding a 7-string neck. They are great affordable arch top guitars.

Learning the 7-string has been a challenging learning curve. I still mistake the 7th string for the 6th,sometimes I can't name chords I am playing, sometime I'm lost especially when I am reading or transposing. Otherwise I really enjoy playing 7-string guitar. I love all the possibilities of the low a string. It's keeps me on toes, always thinking, learning and discovering. I am practicing even more now because I am very inspired. Bucky who is 86, practices everyday at 7am,while maintaining a busy touring and recording schedule. I feel in my case that Bucky wants to pass on the tradition to me because not many guitarists play 7-string. Music really does keep you young.

No comments:

Post a Comment